If you haven't been to a Portland Timbers game yet, simply put - you need to go. Find a way to get tickets. Beg your friend who belongs to the Mac Club. Hound a scalper. Do what it takes! But you need to go. Here's why.
- Because there are about 5,000 fans called the "Timbers Army" who are planted behind the North goal. They are lead by 2 different conductors. They are dressed to the 9's in Timbers garb. And they. Don't. Stop. Chanting. And. Singing. All. GAME. LONG! It is really impressive! They are jumping, dancing, banging drums, IN UNISON! It creates quite the environment.
- Because there is no announcer or lame electronic media going on. It is pure fan-dome. Pure energy. Pure Portland!
- Because there are actual fans who actually care about the game!
- And because those same fans show up rain, sleet, hail, or sun! We went and it was raining sideways for the first half of the game and guess what? It was just as fun!
- Because you should always try new things. This can apply to just about every area of your life...
- Because you should support the local economy! Not going to get all political on you, but I do believe in this...
- Because I said so!
In all honesty, I have never been a fan of soccer, let alone pay money to go to a game. But this was well worth it. We had so much fun and can't wait to go back! Until next time, gooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!