5.13.2012

Yo, Momma!

She was there on October 17, 1982 (when we gave birth to me!).   She was there when I broke my arm jumping over a couch in our basement and was there when I sliced open my hand opening the dog food can.  (ER, both times).  She was there when I crapped my pants countless times.  She was there when my beloved frog, Slimer, died.  She took me to every single modeling shoot I had as a kid and sat there for hours on end.  (I think she kept all the money.  But she deserved it!) 

She was there thru the awkward stage of my youth - braces, headgear, short shorts and high socks - and told me I looked good despite the fact that I was (still am) a huge dork.  She took me to middle school jazz band (even through I was in elementary school) at 6:15am every morning.  She let me play golf all day long and charge egregious amounts of food on the tab at Illahe.  She drove me from Salem to Klamath Falls, up the Oregon Coast and back to Salem for 2 golf tournaments to watch me play like garbage.  She flew to Colorado when I qualified for a big one because she didn't want to miss a step.  She flew to Hawaii to watch my brother and I compete in a music competition for 3 days (OK, not too impressed with that one...).  She has proved that she will truly go to the end of the earth for me.

She didn't let me to to AC/DC because George Carter fell through our ceiling while climbing around where we shouldn't have.  She taught me discipline on that one.  She buried my cat Karen in the front yard (had to fold her tail in half to make her fit in our man made grave...).  She cooked for and fed hungry teenagers just about every night of the summer for years on end.  She has short-sheeted my bed numerous times.  She went through the worst time of her life with just me, and made it out a better person.  Through that, she taught me how to grow up, love when it's ugly, and keep you eye on the positive things.  She took me on trips, just the two of us, until the year I was married.  I will forever cherish the Mom-and-me trips and hope I get at least one more!  Heck I hope I get like 10 more, she pays!

She taught kids how to play piano, how to sing and how to have fun in church choir.  She has impacted thousands of lives in Salem through her volunteering and time spent in the community.  She laughs a lot.  She kicks ass on the tennis court and runs marathons.  She is now a grandma.  She still cooks the best cookies and banana bread.

It's May 13, 2012 and she's enjoying life as wife, friend, grandma and mom. 

She's MY mom, and for that, I am so thankful.  Happy Mother's Day, I love you, Mom!

No comments: